DEAR UBUNTU TRIBE,
Greetings from Kenya! Amal and I have been here for the past month working alongside our Kenya team, kicking off Afridrille shoe production, hosting our Kickstarter team with the amazing Erin Outdoors, celebrating our annual fundraising Tribe Gala in Nairobi and finalizing all the latest and greatest products for our Fall/Winter collection. It has been a great close to the first half of the year and we are beyond thankful for all of our Ubuntu Tribe, family, friends who have made 2018 such a great and exciting year thus far.
The launch of the Afridrille Kickstarter campaign blew away all expectations of launching Africas first ever fully customizable shoe! Huge thanks to all of our longtime and new supporters who showed up for the Ubuntu team in such amazing ways by exceeding our original financial goal of $25,000 to over $115,000!! Our team here in Kenya couldn't believe it and we are now underway getting the over 1,000 pairs of Afridrille shoes into production....thank you!! These shoes are not only creating more meaningful jobs for our Maker Mums, but the opportunity is also expanding the capacity of our factory and growing the skill sets of all of our artisans. Thank you for believing in us and helping make such an exciting, beautiful and meaningful product come to light.
Exciting things to come are:
- Hosting our Maker Mums: A group of our leading Mums will be travelling to the US in Sept. for some very exciting events including a Tribe members-only happy hour!
- p1440: We have partnered with the incredible gold olympian Kerri Walsh Jennings to be a part of the upcoming inaugural p1440 series showcasing the best in women’s and men’s beach volleyball from around the globe
- Austin City Limits Festival: We are thrilled to be a part of our big Ubuntu activation at Austin City Limits Music Festival in October. Stay tuned for more information!
- Launch of Fall/Winter product line: Our new Head of Design, Gladys Macharia, has been hard at work sourcing new materials, diving deep into local and international trends, and testing out an entirely new line of Ubuntu products that will be available in Fall and Winter. We can’t wait to share these new products with you all.
- Tribe Party at Pershing: Save the date! On October 21st, Ubuntu will be hosting our annual Tribe Party gala at Pershing in Austin. Sponsorships are available now – just shoot an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or check out thetribeparty.com for more information.
Thank you for walking the journey with us and more updates coming soon via social media and upcoming newsletters. Thanks for following along and making all of this impact and possibility a reality for so many!
Z & the Ubuntu Team